I am a full fledged carb and bread lover. I was that kid who’s mom would make a really nice dinner only to have me barrel face first into the rolls. Sorry mom for neglecting most of the surrounding dinner spread haha. I’m sure it was delicious! My mom makes biscuits that are really similar to these and they used to be one of my favorites! Over the last year or so I’ve worked at adapting those buttery cheddar biscuits into these vegan cheesy biscuits.
Since there’s only 2 of us in my house, this makes more than we will eat before we get tired of them so we always set a few aside to freeze. I put about 14 of these cheesy biscuits into a freezer bag, try to remove most of the air, and then store them for up to 2 months. Then, later, when we want rolls with dinner we’ll remove them from the freezer, place them on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350*F for about 10 minutes. This also keeps me from eating all of them in just a few days.
Feel free to swap the Daiya Cheddar for the Mozzarella if that’s your jam. I’ve just always found with faux vegan cheeses it’s best to stick with white cheese. Cheddar is a really hard flavor to replicate and if you’re new to vegan cheese I would always reach for the white cheddar, provolone, or Parmesan substitutes!
Quick Vegan Cheesy Biscuits
Servings 20 Biscuits
A warm, buttery, cheesy biscuit without any dairy!
- 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Softened Earth Balance Butter (not melted)
- 1/2 cup Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup melted Earth Balance Butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375*F, and prepare a cookie sheet with spray oil or parchment paper
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and butter (1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp) with a pastry mixer or in your kitchen aid.
- Mix in the Daiya cheese shreds and add the water slowly
- If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. If it is too dry/stiff, add just a bit more water
- Plop the dough onto the cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes (until the bottoms are golden brown)
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter and mix in spices.
- Pull the biscuits out of the oven and use a pastry brush to coat the biscuits with the spiced butter.
- If you have left overs or want to save some for later these keep great in the freezer!
Courses Side Dish, Bread