The weather is getting warmer, grilling out is becoming a regular occurrence, and after-work schedules are filling up fast. All the more reasons to have an easy to prepare dinner!! These sloppy joes are an awesome solution for the nights when you want to eat something good but don’t have time to labor over the stove.
The “meat” portion of this sloppy joe is made up of chickpeas and mushrooms. The mushrooms add in a good robust flavor that, I think, help it taste closer to a traditional sloppy joe. If mushrooms aren’t your thing then you can reduce the amount or eliminate them all together. These have been dubbed not-so-sloppy joes simply because the sauce is thicker than a can of Manwhich. The tangy tomato based sauce holds on to the chickpea mash really well. I think we can all appreciate using less napkins and keeping our shirts clean -am I right?! 15 minutes is all you need to whip up this dinner! I’m aiming to help get you out the door and on with adventure!
When it comes to left overs – these sloppy joes are a champ! Not only could you have another sloppy joe, but the filling is also really good with tortilla chips or in a wrap! Try taking your sloppy joe up a notch and spread a little smashed avocado on the bun – it will blow your mind!! I may be biased though because I absolutely love avocados! Now get out there and adventure!!! 😀
- 1 15 oz. can of Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 3/4 cup diced Mushrooms
- 6 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. Liquid Smoke
- 2 cloves of minced Garlic
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. Agave
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl until most large chunks are gone.
- Stir in the diced mushrooms
- Add all other ingredients into a small bowl and whisk with a fork until combined
- Add the sauce into the chickpea-mushroom mash and stir until evenly coated
- Add the mixture to a lightly oiled skillet with the lid on and cook for ~8 minutes - or until heated through.