When everything is crazy, thankfully weekend mornings are still a teeny tiny sanctuary. Whether you get up with the morning light and enjoy some coffee or if you sleep till 11 and rock the bed head, it’s such a nice little slice of time. Weekday breakfasts are usually pretty dependable and basic, so Saturdays and Sundays are fun opportunities to get creative with breakfast. Lately, I’ve been pretty obsessed with this tofu breakfast scramble and kale. It’s packed with protein, veggies, and a bit of healthy fat if you choose to top it with avocado (and why wouldn’t you, avocados the best!).
Vegan Egg Replacers
Before I went vegan, I was in the habit of eating egg whites a lot. I’ve found that a true egg-like scramble is hard to replicate. If your curious about different types of egg substitutes here are some of the ones I’ve tried:
- Chickpea Flour Omelet – good taste, but drier and not egg-like in texture.
- Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg – Kinda close to egg texture, a little too wet, slightly overpowering sulfur smell, and their really only good scrambled.
- Tofu – Great texture when scrambled, easy to flavor match, can make into breakfast sandwiches.
The Secret Ingredient
Black Salt is the secret to getting the egg-like flavor. When you first mix it in, it will have a strong sulfur smell for a second. I think it smells pretty gross at first but it does go away after a minute. The funny thing about black salt is that it actually looks kind of pink. When I searched for it in the store I couldn’t find it at first because I was looking for “black” salt. Once I started looking at the labels instead of the colors I was able to find it haha. If you don’t have any black salt it’s not a big deal. Yes, it adds flavor, but it’s not going to take too much away from the recipe to exclude it. No need stocking your pantry with it if you won’t use it often.
I like to think of this breakfast scramble as a great way to use up those veggie scraps in your produce drawer! My recipe contains an outline of my favorite veggies to put in omelettes but use whatever floats your boat (and is in your fridge).
The steamed kale pairs really well with this tofu breakfast scramble. It adds extra greens, a nice citrus flavor, and rounds out the breakfast. If you’re having an all out breakfast try cooking up some vegan sausages too! I’d recommend trying Field Roast’s Apple Maple Links. They are my favorite 🙂
Tofu Breakfast Scramble with Steamed Kale
Tofu is a great texture match for eggs. This tofu breakfast scramble and kale is loaded with protein, veggies, and you can top it with avocado and sriracha!
For the Tofu Scramble
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 block of extra firm Tofu
- 2 Tbsp diced Onion (~ 1 thin layer)
- 2 Tbsp Diced Bell Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Diced Sun Dried Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt
- 1.5 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Water
For The Steamed Kale
- 4-5 large Kale Leave, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce/Tamari
- Heat oil in a medium sized frying pan
- Add in tofu and scramble immediately. Cook until it begins to brown slightly (stirring occasionally)
- Add in the veggies and spices - stir
- Add in Water and Lime Juice. Let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Move the tofu to one side of the pan and add chopped Kale to the other side
- Add lime juice and Soy Sauce/Tamari on top of the kale.
- Cook the Kale for 1-2 minutes until wilted, it will dramatically decrease in size.
- Serve immediately! 🙂 Take it next level by topping with Avocado or Sriracha